“Dance Movement Therapy (DMT) is a relational process in which the clients and therapist engage creatively using body movement and dance to assist integration of emotional, cognitive, physical, and social aspects of self.” (www.admp.org.uk)
Through embodied exploration and creative movement expression, DMT can offer access to unconscious material, expand awareness of the felt senses, and help deepen your understanding of your internal world.
Dance Movement Therapists believe in the interconnection between the body, mind, and emotions, and that the three are mutually influential. Because of this connection, any changes experienced physically or in movement are reflected in changes in emotional or psychological states, and vice versa.
Incorporating both verbal and non-verbal forms of communication means that DMP can address relational or developmental issues arising from any stage of life. Non-verbal communication through dance is also helpful at times when you find it difficult to express yourself through words.
Reasons to seek therapy:
- If you struggle with depression, anxiety, or any other mental or emotional distress
- If you experience any learning or physical disabilities and would like more support in working with them
- If you are dealing with grief or the loss of someone close to you
- If you are struggling with the impact of trauma (past or present)
- If you are interested in learning more about yourself, gaining insight into your emotional and mental states, or personal development
The benefits of DMT can include an increase in awareness, self-confidence, self-expression and the development of tools with which to express or manage overwhelming feelings or thoughts. DMT also supports the development of trust within relationships and offers an opportunity to test the impact of self on others in a safe and contained environment. Physical, emotional and cognitive shifts can occur as DMT promotes the possibility to study and experience links between actions, feelings and thoughts. (www.admp.org.uk)
For more information about DMT and what a session might look like, check out our blog post here.